Friday

New Mexico: Land of Enchantment

Land of Disenchantment:

New Mexico is known as the Land of Enchantment. For most people it is, at least as far as landscape and physical beauty.

For others, it's anything but. With great poverty, a high number of uninsured and educational shortcomings, it can be a place people find impossible to escape from.

For the past few weeks, and the past few days in particular, we've been spending a great deal of time with a friend who is going through absolute hell. I won't go into specifics for now because this particular case could embarrass a large organization. Since my information is secondhand, libel issues could arise (I'm siding with Dan Gilmor that bloggers will need to watch out for this). It has prompted me to think about my own life a bit, and how I've been relatively sheltered.

Technorati Tag: politics

No comments: