Tuesday

So What Do We Do Now?

California's upcoming special election involves one particular ballot initiative - Proposition 73 - which would require doctors to notify a minor's parent or guardian 48 hours before performing the procedure.

One school of thought supports this measure because it would help ensure a minor's safety. Another school of thought is against this measure because they find it does not guarantee communication between a minor and her parents, but that instead it would deny healthcare for the most vulnerable of teens.

Alley Rat shares with us a very personal anecdote related to this particular initiative. She says:

I think about what would have happened to me had I not had relatively easy access to abortion. I had just moved to a town where there were multiple providers, and the one I chose was practically next door to my apartment. Easy.

But so, so difficult. It wasn't a difficult decision to make, but it was a painful one.

If I had been a bit younger and living in a place with parental notification laws, I would not have told my parents. There is no way. I would have tried to self abort or gotten an illegal abortion.


If you live in California, I urge you to check out this site, which gives some pretty good information - from both sides - on all of the specific ballot initiatives up for vote. And consider in particular Proposition 73 - will it do more harm than good?

Technorati Tag: Proposition 73

No comments: