Monday

Bride and Predjudice

Since I'm heading off to Maui in a few days to attend my dear cousin's wedding, I thought it would be appropriate to highlight a wedding blog.

And what better resource to use but our very own "Blogs By Women" Blogroll.

Dahlia's Day highlights"Bride and Predjudice," a movie with an updated twist on the classic wedding-themed romantic comedy. I can't say I've ever seen it, although I think I did see "Monsoon Wedding."

If you're a fan of Jane Austen novels and movies, this one is a modern twist (i.e., Bollywood style) to the classic one. The actor playing Darcy in the movie looks almost like Luke Wilson - his name is Martin Henderson from New Zealand - playing opposite to an actress named Aishwarya Rai. If you enjoyed the movie called "Monsoon Wedding", this one is just as good! I really enjoyed it and got a good laugh.
I've never really been obsessed about getting married. Sure, I'd like to someday --- if I don't continue to meet guys like the typical sons-of-you-know-whats I've been dating these days. And with same-sex marriage legislation turning into public heated debate, and the fact that I'm heading off to Maui to BE in a wedding this weekend, the institution of marriage is just being thrown in my face these days.

It wasn't until I spent a little over a year living in upstate New York that I realized that there is this unspoken, invisible, slight nudge to get married as women get older. I'm in my early 30's, and am fine with not being married for now. But when I was in UPNY, I felt like a freak, like something was wrong with me because I wasn't married. Most girls that lived where I was had already been married by the time they got to my age. When I moved back to California, I felt "normal" again, although, with my cousin's wedding coming up, I'm starting to feel a little pinch.

Anyway, it's refreshing to see that Dahlia's blog isn't the obsessed-bride type of wedding blog that you'd imagine. In her blog, Dahlia asks the tough questions that really get you thinking: Would you sign a prenuptual agreement? Would you get married in Vegas if your significant other asked you to? Can you really tolerate Male PMS?

Wedding themed, yes: Bridezilla style, no. Quite refreshing.

Technorati Tag: weddings

No comments: